Wednesday 19 April 2017

Hyderabadi chicken biryani recipe | How to make chicken biryani recipe




Hyderabadi chicken biryani recipe. Learn how to make chicken biryani in a dum style with step by step photos. Making a good hyderabadi chicken biryani is just very simple and this recipe is perfect for a home preparation. This is easier than any chicken dum biryani since it needs no sauting of spices or meat. Just mix all the ingredients and cook on a slow dum process, trapping the steam to retain the aroma. To get an authentic flavor and taste of Biryani, do use all the mentioned ingredients and if desired can substitute ghee for oil.
hyderabadi chicken dum biryani recipe swasthis recipes
It is very easy and even a beginner can try without any troubles. Chicken can be marinated the previous night and refrigerated to make the best flavorful biryani.

Hyderabadi chicken biryani recipe card below

Hi Swasthi, The recipe is perfect and everybody enjoyed it. However, when it comes to cooking the rice, the recipe here talks about 2 1/2 cups of water but the link provided within the same page for "cooking basmati rice for beginners" mentions 4-5 cups for every 1 cup of rice.... Can you please clarify on that ?
Tried making Biryani for the first time and can't believe how good it was! Superb recipe! Thankyou
Hi I wanted to know that since we are putting the raw chicken in the pot will it cook properly or is it oki if I half cook it before layering.
So simple and yummy biryani .. cake so nice..😊😊😊
It was great! Very delicious. I live in Hyderabad and sample dum biryanis at various outlets. I was quite happy (and proud :D) that I made such good biryani. Thanks to this recipe.
Hi - thanks so much for this recipe. Would it be possible to use a frying pan instead of the tawa? or to partially cook the chicken in advance? I am not sure I have the right pans for this, but am dying to try the recipe! thanks!
Hi Swasthi, just now I had made dum biryani for the 1st time, following your recipe entirely. And I'm loving it. Never thought it could be this simple and right. All thanks to you. :-)
Hi Swasthi, Can I use olive oil instead of Sunflower oil or Ghee? Thanks, Arun
Hi swasthi ....I tried out yr recipe last nite n it was awesome ,my family has become fan of my cooking after they had this biryani ,all credit goes to you,...Thanks a ton for sharing such a wonerdul amazing n yummy recipe...I don't have words to express but highly recommend everyone to try at least once ...it's mouth watering recipe ,can't wait to try once more
My family has become fan of my cooking after I prepared yr chicken Hyderabadi recipe ...it turned out awesome n big big thanks to you for sharing such an amazing recipe
Hi Swasthi, This looks delicious! I can't wait to try it...except that I don't have a tawa...is there another way to cook this in the oven instead?
Hi Swasthi! Thank you so much for posting such detailed recipes. I tried this biriyani today and it turned out really tasty.
Just I want to know what a saffron milk. can you advice me?
hi , how to make chicken biriyani for 70 peoples, pls someone send me recipie. its urgent.
Hi SwasthI..... Thanks a lot for sharing such an awesome and mouth watering recipe ... Hyderabadi Chicken Dumfries Biryani !!! My mother and me tried it out twice... and I must say it has become such a huge hit among all our family members and it is one of the easiest preparations done for a biryani..... Thanks a ton for sharing such a great recipe! It's yummmm and I would highly recommend everybody to try it out!!
Hi Swasthi, I am Uppal from Japan, I am having my Indian restaurant. I tried your recipe, it"s really very delicious. Can you arrange a good cook for my restaurant. he should have atleast 10 years experience. He should know all the recipes of Indian curries and base gravies and should know Indian tandoor also. Regards Uppal
Hi Swasthi, I wanted to save this recipe on pinterest, but I noticed that the photos don't have buttons to link to pinterest. Would you be able to add this feature on all of your recipes? It would really help me keep track of your recipes, and I'm sure it would help a lot of other users as well. Thank you!
Hello swasti ....... I am a big fan of ur dish. I prepare dum biriyani chicken 65 pulao receipes.... and etc... It is very awesome and wonderful..... My husband like it very much.... Thank u so much... and ur step by step with photos is very excellent...... u r a such a great cook....... Once again very thank for delicious food
wow so tasty
Swasthi, would you know if this can be done with an electric slow cooker ?
I tried this biryani it is soo yummy so thankful to you its just like restaurant.
Hi Swasthi I will definitely will try again and there are so many yummy recipes on your site. I have been looking for a good Indian Recipe site and now I found you.. :) We just love Indian food as we cant get authentic Indian food where I am living. I am just wondering where you are based. You have a fabulous Sunday!
I made the chicken biryani and it is sooooooo GOOD! I don't have the tawa but I used the Dutch oven and it was charred on the bottom. Maybe I should use a skillet on the gas oven, it may help. Thank you for sharing!! Wai Ling btw it was a bit too spicy and I will put less green chilli ( I used 2 serrano chilli)
Hi swasthi, I have tried biryani so many time and got best result always..very useful recipe ....I just want to know recipe of dal tadka.
excellent
thanks for for your reply ... next time will make the masala at home .... rgds n tk care
hi swasthi .. its really sweet of you to remember me.. yes, i was writing to you after a long time ... in the meantime i did try a few recipes .... the most liked by my son is the kfc popcorn chicken ... .. and i had used everest briyani masala ..... do i have the take 1 1/4 tsp or little more .... thanks for replying ... rgds n tk care.
hi swasthi, i tried this recipe and came out very nice .. can you please help me ... what if i want to make it little pungent .. what should i increase ,,, i also tried the mutton gravy recipe and that was just fab ... thanks for sharing .. rgds n tk care
Hi can I try try this recipe style using zeera samba rice instead of basmathi rice.
Hi Swasthi, many thanks for sharing this beautiful receipe. I followed your receipe to the word and needless to say that it turned out brilliantly... Although this being my first experience in preparing the biryani, it was like a pro. Thanks a lot!!
very valueble information you are provided THANK YOU.
I LIKE CHICKEN BIRYANI VERY MUCH.... I AM SO INTERSECT ON THAT AND THANKS FOR THE HOW TO MAKE BIRYANI
I tried hydrabadi chicken dum biriyani,it was so delicious...........................
Hi Swathi, this briyani was very tasty, yummy and flavourful. And also very easy to prepare. Did many times using non stick kadai. But I want to do it for more quantity, can I do this biryani using biryani vessel? . It is in aluminium material.
Thank you for the recipe. I took the liberty to deviate from the recipe you mentioned and experiment some steps of my own. I cooked chicken in two parts. 1. As you mentioned - chicken with spices and card 2. In another pan I heated oil and added clove, cardimom and cinamon, Chicken was pre marinated with garam masala, chilli powder, biryani masala. I cooked chicken with fried onion, garam masala and biryani masala. I did not add card. This made little bit dried chicken and no curry In rice layers I added both the chicken. The fried chicken in button layer and thick gravy chicken in middle layer while the top layer had whole potato (semi pre boiled) and boiled eggs. Each of these three layers has rice in between - Layer 1: Rice Layer 2: Fried Chicken Layer 3: Rice Layer 4: Curd Chicken and thick gravy Layer 5: Rice Layer 6: Whole potato and eggs Layer 7: Rice Layer 8: Sprinkle fried onion and biryani scent And then added half glass of water. And let the rice cooker run for 10 minutes. I have heard if you do it in oven or gas stove, you may lit charcoal and put in a foil and put on top of final layer before closing the lid. That gives a nice smoky smell. I did not do that myself, but have tested wonder biryani smoked with charcoal from our neighbour. Anyway, Thanks for your recipe. It really helped. Glad to share my insights too. Thanks Aurobindo
I made this last year on my sons birthday for atleast 20 people using 2kg rice and although I had to estimate with masalas the overall taste was great and the whole pot was finished! I roasted and grinded each masala as per your biryani masala recipe and it was well worth the effort. Will be making it again this weekend
One of the best recipes for biryani that i have come across. I followed the recipe carefully and even though it was my first time making it, it turned out to be amazing !! I made it again a second time, this time adding potato slices at the bottom of the pot, which stopped the chicken from getting burnt. All in all super recipe !! Thankyou for posting !!
From last one week I m trying To make good biryani and finally i got this website. Thank you so much for the recipe and step by step process. Once again Thank you.
Thanx Really I like ur receipe. It is too good. I tried so many other receipe. But this is very simple ,easy & excellant.Plez guide or send mutton dum biryani. Regards
Swasthi, I tried this twice now. The first one i followed exact ingredient list. The 2nd time i increased for 4 ppl. Do i need to increase cooking time?
I learn many things from it and its esey to make any dish in home thanks. I loved it
Hi, Thanks for such tasty and easy biryani recipe. I was very excited to try it out n today I finally made it. It came out really awesome. Wish I could share the pic, it looked superb.
I made it and test is very good, thank you for this recipe ... Will you tell me if I double the rice quantity (3 cups) and half the chicken quantity (250 gms) then Dry Spices for rice will be double ? and for chicken it'll be half ?
The chicken biryani recipe was amazing.. i tried it and it came out pretty good.. i didnt have all the ingredients listed.. so i substituted some of my own.. i used powdered cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg and so on since i didnt have them in the natural form.. I used whole cloves in the rice but they were very overpowering when i bit into them.. so next time.. i am going to tie the spices in a little bag and then boil with the rice as you suggested.. i used a non stick pan to cook the biryani in and it kinda charred the bottom of the food quite a bit.. i have to figure out how to prevent it. but otherwise.. it turned out beautiful.. my wife and i loved it very much.. Thank You.
Thanks a Lot ! Chef...your Recipe of Hyderabad I Chicken Biryani was amazing...I was home alone on Christmas Day...made it...love it.. Thank you !!!!
very informative...and very easy to understand..
Hi.. Tried this today and i must say it came out so good.. Thanks a ton for this keeper recipe:)
Superb chicken biryani. The best biryani i ever made. Please share dal makhani recipe
Delicious and perfect chicken biryani
Thank you so much for this amazing recipe This truely is the best hyderabadi murgh biryani I got so many praises among family and friends My Dad isn't a big fan of biryani But once i made this he kept asking me to make it literally every day Shared this recipe to one of my Mom's friends and she was having some guests and they all fell in love with this All thanks to you Indian and the Persian gulf region cuisines are the best in the world Cause we get spices from you
Chicken biryani at its best! Tried this recipe turned out fantastic. Thank you very much
One of the best biryani recipes I have tried. So delicious simple and easy to make. Thanks a ton
Wow, I made this last week and its absolutely delicious.. Thankyou.
It'$ owsome Thanks swasti.
Hi Swathi, Your recipe looks wonderful. I am planning to cook this biryani for my friends. This is the first time I will be cooking a biryani. However I am cooking it for four people. And since I am relatively new to this can you tell me how much the quantity of ingredients including rice and water will change if I am cooking it for four people?
Step by step with pics great effort swasthi
Hi Swasthi ! Wonderful and an easy receipe ! Thank you very much for sharing it. I tried it and it turned out really well.
excellent recipe & very well explained. I just wanted to know what should be the size of each chicken piece so that chicken gets cooked in the dum process perfectly
Hey Swasthi, I just had a mouthful of the biryani I prepared with your recipe. It was yum. There were some areas of improvement but I know how to correct them. Loved every bite and carrying some for colleagues to office. Any other recipe that you suggest I could attempt? Regards, T
wow!! Gr8 recipe.. had frnz over and they all loved it. Thanx a Lot.. saved my life. i have never cooked non veg and i was so nervous. It was a surprise for my husband and he also loved it. Thanx again for the recipe.
Since it was my wife's birthday I planned to prepare biryani and after going through your recipe I gave it a try and it really came out good and besides my wife all were so pleased thanks a lot for sharing.
today i learnt a chicken receipe from you ms/mrs. Swathi and thank you....!!!!!!
Nice recipe
Hi, I appreciate your work. I know you took sincere efforts and research to bring these biryani recipe's. Especially this one. I'm damn sure this will be tasty. Thank you. I have a question, sometimes we don't get tender chicken here in place. So, is there any chance that the meat will go uncooked?
Never made biryani this good. Thank you swasthi
Excellent biryani , thank you. My wife made this from ur blog .
Thank you very much. this biryani is so good lol. Turned out super good. Damn delicious
Hi swasthi, biryani was super good. Thank u very much
Wow what a recipe, perfected chicken biryani. Thank you so much. We loved it so much. Hassle free
Very yemi
Thank you so much, delicious superb
it works apsolutely good...........it taste so flavourfull........thnx
Fantastic recipe swasthi , it was so much fun and enjoyed making this. Thanks
Thanks from the bottom of my heart for your prompt reply, which really helped me a lot. The taste of this biryani is LAJAWAB................, WONDERFUL....................... ETC..... my guests & family all were licking their fingers & ate it. They all were shocked that such a tasty biryani can be prepared at home & that too at an easy method. Once again thank u, thank u very much.
Yummy and Mouth Watering. Great Recipe. Thanks for sharing.
4.8 from 75 reviews
Hyderabadi chicken biryani recipe | How to make chicken biryani recipe

Prep time
Cook time
Total time
Chicken biryani recipe made with basmathi rice and chicken marinated in spices and cooked in a dum style to yield a flavorful biryani

Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
  • 1 ½ cups aged basmathi rice (soaked for 20 to 30 mins, drain and set aside)
  • ½ kg or 1 lb bone-in-chicken or boneless
  • ¼ to ½ tsp. biryani masala powder for sprinkling in between layers
  • Fried onions from 1 large onion (Learn to make Fried Onions for Hyderabadi Recipes )
  • Fistful of finely chopped coriander leaves
  • Fistful of finely chopped mint leaves
  • 2 to 3 tbsp. Sunflower oil or ghee
  • ¼ tsp saffron strands soaked in 3 tbsps. hot milk
Marination for hyderabadi chicken biryani recipe
  • 1 tbsp. ginger garlic paste
  • ¼ tsp turmeric
  • 3 green chilies slit (adjust to suit your taste)
  • ½ cup + 1 tbsp. yogurt / curd
  • 2 tbsps. Lemon juice (adjust)
  • 1 ½ tsp Kashmiri / byadgi red chili powder
  • ½ tsp biryani masala powder
  • ¼ tsp green cardamom powder
  • Salt to taste
Dry Spices for rice
  • 6 to 7 cups water
  • 1 tsp oil
  • 2 small strands of mace
  • 1 large or 2 small black cardamom
  • 4 green cardamom
  • 3” cinnamon stick
  • 6 cloves
  • 1 large or 2 small bay leaf
  • ½ tsp pepper corn
  • ½ tsp shahi jeera / caraway seeds
How to make the recipe
Preparation
  1. Marinate the chicken with the ingredients mentioned under marination and set aside for at least 2 hrs and overnight is best.
  2. This step is optional. Tie up all the dry spices for rice in a muslin cloth.
  3. Wash rice till the water runs clear. Soak for 20 to 30 minutes. Heat 6 to 7 cups water in a utensil to cook rice. Add 1 tsp oil, dry spices and salt, let the water boil rapidly for 5 mins, this way the aroma released is best. Add the soaked rice and cook till it is ¾ done. Remember this is very important. Do not make the rice mushy. Drain off if any excess water is left.
Making chicken biryani
  1. While the rice cooks, transfer the marinated chicken to a heavy bottom casserole, handi or non-stick. Add fried onions, green chilies, ½ of the mint, coriander leaves and pour in the oil or melted ghee. Mix well and level the surface.
  2. Layer the cooked rice evenly, add fried onions, mint and coriander leaves over the chicken.
  3. Sprinkle ¼ tsp to ½ tsp. biryani masala powder.
  4. Repeat steps of layering rice, coriander mint leaves and then fried onions.
  5. Pour the saffron milk all over.
  6. Cover the rim of the casserole with foil to trap the dum or use a cloth. Rinse a thick kitchen cloth and squeeze off the excess water, it must be just moist and not with dripping water. Make a double layer. Spread this cloth over the rim and cover the lid over the casserole.
  7. Place this over a thick hot tawa, set the flame to medium high such that the flame reaches all over the diameter of the casserole. Cook this way for exactly 20 mins. After 20 mins, if you have a see thru lid you can see the vapour filled.
  8. Now reduce the flame to min (as low as in Indian stoves or burners, where the flame barely touches tawa). Cook this way for exactly 10 to 15 mins. You can see the vapour dripping on the moist cloth. Off the flame and leave it as it is for at least 20 to 30 mins.
  9. Garnish chicken biryani with fresh chopped coriander leaves and serve with raita.
Notes
If you do not like to use a cloth for trapping the steam or dum, you can use dough to seal the lid of the utensil, but cleaning up the mess is difficult. An aluminium foil too works ok.
Nutrition Information
Calories: 650 Fat: 25 g Saturated fat: 6 g Carbohydrates: 85 g Sugar: 5 g Sodium: 160 mg Fiber: 2 g Protein: 20 g Cholesterol: 60 mg


How to make hyderabadi chicken biryani recipe

1. Add all the marination ingredients to a bowl. yogurt, salt, red chili powder, biryani masala, turmeric, ginger garlic paste, lemon juice, cardamom powder, Mix them well to make a paste.
making marinade for hyderabadi chicken biryani recipe
2. Marinate the chicken with the prepared yogurt and masala paste prepared in step 1. Allow it to sit for overnight in the fridge or for at least 2 hours. Keeping overnight makes the chicken very soft once the biriyani is cooked. If you are marinating it just for 2 hours, i suggest keeping the pieces to small to medium and not very large.
marinating chicken for making biryani recipe
3. Add dry spices to a pot of boiling water along with few drops of oil. You can add the dry spices to a muslin cloth and make a knot if you don’t like to get a bite of the spices. Add soaked rice and cook till ¾th cooked. The rice must be grainy and you must get a bite into it meaning it has to be slightly under cooked.

4. Add the chicken marinade to a heavy bottom pot. Sprinkle fried onions, chilies, coriander and mint leaves. Add oil and mix it.
adding chicken to a pot for making biryani
5. Layer the rice over the chicken. The rice must be moist and not with dripping water. It should not be dry either.
layering rice for making hyderabadi chicken biryani recipe6. Add fried onions, mint and coriander leaves. Sprinkle biryani masala.
sprinkling biryani masala for biryani
7. Layer the rice again.
repeat layering for making hyderabadi chicken biryani recipe step 6
8. Sprinkle fried onions, mint and coriander leaves and biryani masala. Pour the saffron milk.
sprinkling mint for hyderabadi chicken biryani recipe
9. Use a foil to cover the rim. You can also use a thick clean kitchen cloth. or make dough and stick to the rim of the pot.
covering with foil for biryani recipe
10. Cover the pot with a lid. If using dough. make sure the lid sits on the dough.
preparing for dum biryani
11. Place the pot over a hot old tawa. Cook on a medium high for about 15 to 20 minutes.
cook dum chicken biryani on a tawa
12. Lower the flame to very low and cook for another 15 minutes. Switch off the stove and let it rest for sometime
lowering the flame for hyderabadi chicken biryani recipe
13. Flavorful dum biryani is ready.
easy biryani recipe
14. Fluff up the rice gently and serve with raita or shorba.
garnishing and serving hyderabadi chicken biryani recipe
Hope you liked the hyderabadi chicken biryani recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment